January 25, 2016 | Bill Updates at FPIW.org
The legislative session is entering it's third week today, and there have been several bills introduced that you'll want to pay attention to. Along with our educational partner, FPIW, we've launched a new resource for constituents to engage in the legislative process -- the Legislative Hub
. Here, you can track bills, contact legislators, and access educational resources all in one stop!
Today, we wanted to provide you with a quick recap and update of what progress was made this week on repealing the Human Rights Commission's open-bathroom/open-showers rule and give you some action steps to keep the pressure on.
House Bill Introduced; Hearing Not Scheduled: HB 2589 was introduced, but House Judiciary Chair Rep. Laurie Jinkins continues to ignore constituents and citizens who would like to provide input on the bill by denying it a hearing.*
* = The bill must be heard and passed from the Judiciary Committee by Feb. 5th in order to stay alive.
Here are some immediate things you can do to make an impact:
- Sign and share our petition to repeal the open-bathrooms rule on Facebook and via email with your networks. (Related: petition reaches 6,500 signatures!)
- Call Rep. Laurie Jinkins' office to request that she schedule a hearing on HB 2589. Her office phone number is (360) 786-7930. Please be respectful and courteous when you call, and please encourage your friends and neighbors to do the same.
- Email your legislators on these two bills using our online contact portal
- Follow FPIW on Facebook and Twitter